Thursday, March 4, 2010

Picking Up Chicks With Wobble Goggles


Jamie is on the search for a girlfriend. An unexpected turn of events, triggered by what seemed like a harmless conversation at the time (there is no rhyme or reason to what conversations he repeats to others and which ones he chooses to keep to himself). It started when he wanted to know why he had to shower alone. Sad, little grumpy boy. I'm not sure he'd want to share a showerhead... even if he did have the opportunity. Thus, it was with very little sympathy that Jim informed him he'd have to grow up and wait before he could shower with a girl.

We should have never told him that.

Ever since, he has been on the lookout, going up to random girls at the playground or speech therapy with a simple "Hi, I'm Jamie, will you be my girlfriend?". Shockingly, it works. He has a medical file that says he's "shy and reticent", but apparently that shyness does not extend to peers of the opposite sex (although in truth, he's not really shy with anybody but adults...like doctors). I'm working on instilling some manners in the child, but it doesn't help that little girls are apparently quite flattered to have curly headed little boys woo them. Even if it is with french fries and a rip-roaring game of who-can-climb-to-the-top-of-the-slide-fastest.

Jim came home after running errands with Jamie, to tell me a truck pulled up beside them at a stoplight with a little blond haired girl strapped in a carseat just like Jamie. She and Jamie were waving and grinning at each other, so her dad rolled down the window and before the light turned green Jamie had already claimed her as a girlfriend too. I hope he doesn't make it a habit to pick up chicks in trucks at stoplights.

It was all kinda cute, and while we try to navigate the waters of what's too much and too little information, it all backfired on us last night. We were invited to dinner at Curtis's parents house (Curtis being el fiance to Liz), and while I was naively enjoying a delicious plateful of lasagna, Jamie decides to tell Mr. and Mrs. C that he "needs a girlfriend so he can shower with her... like mom and dad do."

*crickets chirping*

I blame Jim. He was the one who brought up the whole thing.

Today he was out in the backyard with his wobble goggles, searching high and low... for a girlfriend.

I took a picture. It cracks me up. Apparently there's a good bit of Nerd mixed in with the Casanova.


Although sometimes he tries to be all badass like his dad.

6 comments:

Lauryl Lane said...

I just read this to Sammy and we 'bout died laughing. Oh, Jaime. I hope I have a kid just like him someday. Awesomesauce. Oh, and that photo of your family is INSANE. Insanely wonderful. xoxo PS We miss the Ramsey fam.

Kat said...

Dude, I love love love this man. Does he like older women? :| Seriously, whatever you and Jim have in your genes that leads to such hilarity should be patented and sold for ridiculously high prices.

Nerd Casanova? He's the new Chuck! <3

Cheerios said...

Beautiful

Unknown said...

LOL!!!
Amazing family picture :) love it!

Megan Elisabeth said...

Awesome! Someday I think you could just compile your blog entries into a book about Jamie. :)

tiffany said...

Oh gosh, I needed to read this today! Thanks from the bottom of my heart for the belly laughs.

On another subject, when are you guys moving to Texas? There are plenty of ranches that need managers (I just know it).