Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Wailing Lobster

The babes is six months now, and like most third-borns his mother is sucking it up majorly on the "recording major milestones" front.

So this post goes out to our Robster the Lobster...thus coined because he turns beat red when he's mad.   He's almost as adorable when he's mad as when he's happy, which unfortunately (or fortunately) doesn't happen that often.   It's not that he's an easy going baby, he's got very strong baby opinions, it just so happens he really truly loves just about everything.  ... except baths.

He loves people, he adores his brothers.  Toys fascinate him, food is his best friend.  He sleeps, farts and poops easily, and thinks his mommy and daddy hung the moon.   Mention the b-word though and he starts to look vaguely uneasy.   Pull out the baby bath tub and he gets very worried.  Actually try to put him in the bath and he suddenly develops baby ninja skills.   I swear he's more canine than human baby when he's near a bath.   Yesterday, I was undressing him and he was all smiles, belly laughs, and happy, wiggling baby chub.   Then he saw the dread B.A.T.H. and I literally almost lost him.   He somehow wedged a toe in one of my ribs and used that as leverage to launch himself over my shoulder.   His pediatrician says he's abnormally strong for a baby his age, but it's only because his brothers have him in a daily bootcamp specifically designed to build muscles and maximize survival skillz.    Mostly they're skills like "how to stay upright while being spun around 158 times in an exersaucer"  or "how many pushups and leg thrusts does it take to reach the toy my older brother keeps moving just out of my reach."  but apparently it also includes "emergency ejection plans for avoiding B.A.T.H.S." 

Seriously, even when he's in a gently warmed jacuzzi...safe in his mother's arms as she softly coos and plays with him.   It's defcon 10.

What do I do?  Is there hope for my waterless lobster?  I'm a little worried because both my other two were water babies from the get go.  They both learned to swim easily and spend more of their Summer in the pool than out of it.   What am I going to do next year if I have one child who won't so much as dip a toe in the water, and two other children who would prefer to be merchildren?

Do I give him more baths?   Or less?  Right now he gets one once or twice a week because baby torture isn't high up on my list of life ambitions. 

Any advice would be appreciated... even if we sort of think he looks like a Peanuts character when he cries. 

1 comments:

eLiz said...

well. I don't know. My current baby loved baths and I didn't give her them as often as you do for your water hater. But I've always been bad like that.