Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rediscovering McDonalds

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd sing the glories of McDonalds.

I had some time to kill between work and speech therapy, so I stopped at the first fast food place with a kids playplace, and McDonald's won the draw. I can't remember the last time I was inside a McDonald's (I think it was in Alabama or Arkansas? with Julie and Jess). I pick my fast food restaurants based on the yumminess of their french fries and McDonald's wilty, tasteless things do nothing for me. Right now though, I really don't care. They could serve actual poo on a stick and I'd probably buy it. Why? Because they have free wi-fi and big comfy leather chairs, combined with a place for my children to play. Heck, I'll buy the food and just let it sit there, purely so I can get a few minutes of uninterrupted writing or reading time.

Such were my feelings of goodwill, I benevolently agreed to go down the slide with my begging boys. I failed to take into account my high heeled leather boots, and purse that more resembles a book bag. That, and those playsets were not made for adults. I never considered myself a very large person until I found myself crawling up, under and over equipment that was surely made to train contortionists. On my hands and knees I could feel my hands stick and unstick from the plastic and I prayed that it was just spilled soda and not anything else. Then, we finally got to the top, got my legs all tucked into the slide with both boys in my lap, when they totally and completely freaked out. "It's too red!" Jamie pleaded (of course it's red...it's a red tunnel slide). Charlie just tried to claw over me like the terminator was after him. The red hole of death. I briefly considered hauling myself out of the precarious position I was in, but there was no way I could survive the trip back down through the sticky-ville maze, and so I let go and down we went.

Happily they survived.
And then wanted to do it again.
Figures.

Next time I'll bring a bottle of disinfectant with me. Is that allowed?

1 comments:

JessL said...

When did McDonalds get so modern with their wi-fi and leather chairs? I despise that place, but a few moments of peace while children happily play has no price tag. I think meeting you and Julie there was the last time I was at McDonalds too. Funny.

You going down the slide with screaming children reminds me of Rebekah pushing Ethan down a big slide because he was up there pitching a fit begging to go back down. She finally had enough of it and just pushed him. Of course he had a great time and then promptly wanted to do it again.