Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Music + Me = Storytime Part I

I participated recently in a music swap revolving around the story of your life. A soundtrack so-to-speak.

For me it would probably have to start out with something like Colby The Music Machine, move on to The Donut Man, and then Patch the Pirate. But that would be too many songs (most of which I don't currently posses). So I'm doing the last decade. I was 18, just graduated from highschool, and headed to Verity, a satellite schooling program ATI developed. For the uninitiated, think tiny, ultra conservative, slightly cult-like, christian college.

Some of these songs I'm embarassed by, some I still love, but every one of them takes me back instantly to a specific time and place. Listen to one, or listen to none, I realize there's a lot of them.

Perfect Day- Superchick/Hoku
"It's a perfect day, nothing's standing in my way..."
Scene: Starting college. Ignorant, naive, excited...not homesick in the least. Driving down a bumpy, neglected road in downtown Flint, MI, with the windows rolled down. My new (and soon to be best friend) Julie is next to me, and both of us are singing this song at the top of our lungs as if we're in a convertible driving down the beach instead of in my tiny fart of a car in a city where the sun never shines.

The Middle- Jimmy Eat World
"It just takes some time little girl, you're in the middle of the ride and everything is going to be all right..."
Scene: School is a lot harder than I thought. I can't put two sentences together properly, and my room is piled high with books I read dutifully, but that don't help me pass CLEP tests. I feel a bit overwhelmed. Highlight of this period? I have really great friends, one of whom will someday be my husband.

The Riddle- The Scarlet Pimpernel/Broadway
"We shamble on through this hell, Taking on more secrets to sell, Till there comes a day when we sell our souls away."
Scene: Sitting in my bathroom with my roommate, crying while burning our copy of the new rules. New rules come every week or so. Everyone here lies, everyone has secrets, everything is controlled...even our consciences. It's exhausting to the point dangerous. Every institution under the sun has drama and politics. It's scarier though when they are wrapped and intertwined with your Faith. Highlight? My roommate has introduced me to Broadway and I've become an instant fan.

Head Over Feet- Alanis Morissette
"
You've already won me over in spite of me, And don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet.
Don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are..."
Scene: There's a boy. We're sitting on a park bench together after signing out at different times, taking different routes, and checking over our shoulder numerous times to make sure no one catches us. I wasn't planning on getting married. Ever. I was entirely cynical about the whole thing, but Jim changed my mind embarrassingly fast. Eight years later, I'm still here next to him, but this time it's on our own couch, and my feet are tucked under him.

My Immortal- Evanescence
"There's just too much that time cannot erase. When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears. When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears."
Scene: Saying goodbye. Fighting for my friendships. Trying to hang on to everything I hold dear. Basketball in the ballroom, hockey in the parking garage, curled up on the floor of the communications dept trying to sleep, yet listening to all the voluminous theological arguments going on around me.

Numb- Linkin Park followed by Free- Ginny Owens
"I've become so numb, I can't feel you there" Linkin Park
"...
But You say You've always had a plan, And that's all I need to know. " Ginny Owens
Scene: Disillusioned, fed up with Christianity, half convinced the whole thing is an illogical, hypocritical lie I've been fed my whole life. This would have been the end of God in my life, except he had a plan, and that plan didn't include me giving up. Looking back, I was never in any real danger. Jesus loves me. End of story.

Hanging By A Moment- Lifehouse
"I'm standing here until you make me move, I'm hanging by a moment here with you..."
Scene: Pressing play on the answering machine to hear Jim's voice singing this song to me. Miraculous since I don't think he's ever sung out loud by himself, before or after that. New scene a year later. Same song. This time, there's a ring on my finger that wasn't there a few minutes ago. We're in Huntington Beach in January and it's 85 degrees and sunny. Perfect? Yes.

Angel- Shaggy and Yellow- Coldplay
"Girl you're my angel, you're my darling angel..."
In bed at my grandparents house. Just had my tonsils taken out and am in the most pain I've ever been in (two kids later and I still think the missing tonsils were the worst). I'm listening over and over to a mixed cd Jim made me with these on it.


Gira Con Me- Josh Groban
"Little steps I take with you, I follow your heart and I follow the moon."
It's August 16th 2003. I'm wearing a white dress. I got married barefoot, but now I sport skater shoes as I am dancing in my groom's arms. Life is good.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Yay! So glad you shared these :-). I have been meaning to ask you for the playlist, but this is better!

obclhorn said...

That's a lot of memories....

I especially remember having to convince you that it took a lot of guts and overcame a lot of nerves for a guy to sing on the phone.