Friday, July 15, 2005

July 15, 2005

July 15, 2005

Hindsight is said to be 20/20 and should perhaps inspire you to be more
introspective, unfortunately it is most often just
embarrassing.   Jim decided it would be fun to go through
some stuff in my old room at my parents house.  I would have
stopped him with whatever force necessary had I known his evil plan,
but unfortunately I was sleeping and thus blissfully unaware of the
secrets he set about to uncover.   Later, he rather gleefully (much
too happy with his success) showed me the journals, CD’s and pictures
he uncovered which he had already gone through (much to my
chagrin).   Back when I was thirteen,  I was encouraged
by a mature, righteous, young lady (or so I thought at the time, now I
just make fun of her absurdity…and mine) to resist demeaning my journal
with trivial things like boys or drama, but rather give words of wisdom and
rhema’s from Scripture that would be a source of counsel and wisdom for
my children and grandchildren.   Now, as I endure endless
teasing from my husband, I wish I had just written about boys.
Goodness knows I obsessed about them enough back then whether or not my
journal commemorates that fact.   I considered burning the
silly journals (or something equally vindictive), but they really are
too funny, even if they are just a load overtly religious mumbo jumbo
(of course I thought it was modestly covert at the time ).
Moving on to the pictures Jim found…
    I’m barely eighteen, and new to the hell-hole better known as the
Riverfront Character Inn.   All the guys look funny with
their pleated, too-short pants, and their super short hair, and the
girls in their hideously awkward skirts (not that skirts are
hideous…just the ones we wore).  I can’t resist putting some of
the pictures in my blog even if I was a truly horrid photographer back
then.  I maintain it was largely due to my camera (it was one of
the first consumer digital cameras)  which took the picture about
three seconds after you pushed the button.

The dude looking at the camera is my husband (although I would have
dropped the camera I was holding if you had told me that when I took
this picture).   The girl on his left is Julie, who is still
tiny and cute.  The girl on his right is Liz, who was and is thin, beautiful and tall (we all called
her “Elizabeth” at the time).  It seemed like she spent most of
her life at Verity on those crutches, at least that’s what we teased
her about.   I shall continue the tradition (of teasing) and
wonder in horror what in the world she was thinking when she bought
that outfit.   Those were the good ol’ days, now
I’m told the only thing teasable about her is her elbows. 


The two people who terrified me most during the first half of the first
semester: Josh and Kevin.   Only thing missing is the evil yellow
legal pad Kevin sealed our fates with.

Just too cute.  Naomi and Liz, two girls I hung out with at
Verity.  The one I have nothing in common with is still a good
friend and the other one dropped off the face of the earth. Can you
tell which one is from the west coast and which is from Michigan?

0 comments: