Tuesday, August 9, 2005

August 9, 2005

August 9, 2005

So, I really do have a wonderful excuse for the long space
between this and the last entry. There is too much to write, so I’ll limit
myself to strict updates, without launching in to the long diatribes about
nothing that I so dearly love to write (or talk, if you’re unfortunate enough
to get stuck on the phone with me)
The main points…
Jim and I went to New Mexico to pick up windows for our
house.  We stayed with Ben and Kirsten
for five days and laid new tile in their entry.  They have no internet, and I was unsuccessful in any attempt to
break into somebody else’s wireless network.
Despite the internet withdrawals, we had a lot of fun. 
My sister Elizabeth decided to launch herself 50 ft off a
motorcycle without a helmet on. 
Although she looked like she lost a fight with a grizzly bear, her worst
injury is a sprained ankle; she also has cool Darth Maul eyes that completely
freak me out every time she glances my way.
My Great Grandmother died (better known to me as Grandmie)
at the ripe old age of 100.  She’d lost
touch with reality (which included recognizing me or anyone else) about nine
months ago, and had been going downhill ever since.  So it was expected, but it still felt like a kick in the solar
plexus.  In my more selfish moments, I
mourn the implications of not going to her house for roast beef, and homemade
applesauce.
Friday I had an ultrasound to check on Jamie and make sure
he was growing ok.   Apparently it’s not
normal to be eight months pregnant, still wearing your normal jeans and not
weighing an ounce more than you did a year ago.   Ultrasound saw hair (I was completely bald so Jamie definitely
gets that from his dad) and a big nose.
At least I thought it looked huge, the technician said it was just the
angle, but she probably says that to every hysterical mother freaking out over
whether Junior looks more like a monkey than a human (note to mothers: newborns
do look like monkeys).    After
the ultrasound showed an unusually small baby, we were whisked around
unceremoniously to a radiologist and then my OB, who promptly referred me to a
Perinatologist (I’m told “Perinatologist” comes from the Latin word pera
which means “danger” or “risk”, but don’t quote me on it)
Jim and I went to the airport to pick up some old guy (me,
being a complete basket case at this point in time).  The “old man” turned out to be my adorable sister-in-law
Lauren,  I was completely surprised and
promptly fell apart again.  She was
supposed to stay until Tuesday morning, but we got her ticket switched to Sat
instead.  We’ve had a ton of fun.
This week starts a whole new chapter, so I’ll start a
new entry. 

0 comments: