Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Patience is a tired mare but she jogs on.

Is writing a learned art or a God given ability? My 18 year old self hopes it's the former. I can count on one hand the number of papers I actually finished while being homeschooled--they typically turned into stubborn showdowns with my parents. Consequently the first week of college I found myself clutching a one paged, in class essay on Great Danes vs Chihuahuas, it was covered with corrections and I was in a mandatory meeting with the instructor bawling my eyes out. Those were the days where every cool homeschool chick worth her salt carried a 4 inch folding knife in her pocket. After looking between me, the knife in my hands, and my tear splotched paper, you can't blame the worried instructor for threatening to take my easiest means of suicide away... or maybe he was concerned for his own safety. I'm not sure.

Hopefully I've come a long way since then. Although anything involving the alphabet and a thirty min timer is still doomed for disaster, because I am anything but a fast writer and the best I can do is aim for persistance. I'm not a wordy writer either. People who can whip out four pages without even pausing are geniuses in my eyes. Nanowrimo last year was possibly one of the most painful things I've ever done. To this day I have to resist the urge to check my word count on blog entries and mentally congratulate myself when I hit 800 words.

I've managed to squeeze out 12,000 words in my novel so far. That's 12,000 words I currently despise, but that Jim has forbidden me to erase. 12,000 words that roll over and over in the back of my head and haunt my dreams with what the next 12,000 words will contain. Everything I read says to write the first draft then edit, edit, edit. I think that must apply to people who like to write 150,000 word epic beasts. In my case it will have to be "revise", "rewrite", "revise". Because really, I'll be doing good if I can hit 60,000. The first Harry Potter book was 80,000 words.

Oh and I'm begging... somebody go sign up for Nanowrimo this year, because I can't, what with the rule about not starting till Nov 1st coupled with my inability to do two things at once has sadly disqualified me from participating this year. But I want to live vicariously through someone and cheer them on!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

i'm tempted by the Nanowrimo. i've been only half-jokingly talking about writing a stupid teen vampire story for the last couple of months anyway [partly to prove that the vampire craze has gone so overboard that even a crap half-joke story could get published and make money, though i'd definitely be too embarrassed to put my name on it]. do people HAVE to see it, or can you just say, "I wrote it, and I refuse to subject anyone to the cruel and unusual punishment of actually READING it"?

Jessica said...

oh, i'd like to add that i DO one day want to write a novel that i actually care about. maybe one that could win the Pulitzer or Nobel. at least i can dream, yeah? hah.

Elizabeth said...

Ah, college. I'd almost forgotten about that horrible essay topic.

Miss you, Ez.