Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The reluctant

I've been meaning to come out of the closet about something for awhile, but I never seem to quite work up the nerve. Until tonight. For no other reason except that I very nearly lost my mind and ruined my entire life this evening and nobody would ever know why. That and the only reason really to resist confessing, and to not talk about it, stems from pure pride and chagrin on my part because well... I'm writing a book.

Best case scenario: writing it makes me happy, reading it might make other people happy.

Worst case scenario: I pour hundreds of hours into my book, a few small chunks of my soul, and a dash of my sanity only to have it be total and utter crap. Which lets face it, is highly likely.

For all the undiluted opinions I throw out about this book or that book; Twilight sucks, Harry Potter is entertaining but mediocre, Gregor The Overlander doesn't end well, I don't pretend for a moment those books were a cinch to write. It's a little obnoxious that it takes me mere hours to read and pass judgment on a book when in reality an author somewhere poured their sweat and blood into the monumental task of putting eighty-thousand words together in a coherent fashion.

So I would definitely choose in favor of not writing a novel if I could, it's embarassing and a recipe for remorse, but I can't stop. I'm a hopeless case. The story got stuck in my head one day and like pregnancy, it just kept getting bigger and bigger until it had to come out. Like it or not.
Not that I'm entirely pessimistic. I like my story and I like writing. I've got a unmarked white binder stuffed with fifty pages worth of outline and notes on characters, milieu...what they eat and how they spend money. I take the notebook everywhere with me and whenever something strikes my imagination I write it down. I've even pulled over on the freeway to write something before it disappeared into the mom brain malady I suffer from. It has sand hiding in the crevices from trips to the beach, and some of the pages stick together from spitup and pb&j. The outside (nor inside) has a title or label on it anywhere because I was too embarassed to admit its contents to people, contents I completely lost tonight. Took it on a date with Jim tonight, and came home without it. No clue where I left it. I've detailed my penchant for losing wallets and cellphones here before, but this was far far worse. When I told Jim, he looked at me like I'd just announced I dented the car. That's how many hours I've poured into that notebook. Thankfully, Jim could still think clearly and logically despite my hysterics, so a few well placed phone calls to the mall and my notebook was found: Sitting on the counter at Panda Express.
How did I do that?
And what have I done?
Bah.


Anybody else reading this ever started or considered writing a book?

8 comments:

Lauryl Lane said...

Wow- you are a more committed little novelist than I realized. I've dabbled. But like I told you when we discussed Nanowrimo, I can't finish a book to save my life. I think I should stick to blogging!

Rainey Daye said...

I wrote a "book" back in ninth grade...then started tearing it apart and rewriting it in tenth grade...then we moved to Romania just before eleventh grade and it got left in storage. I'm pretty sure it's in with the 2-3 big rubbermaid containers of papers I'm pretending don't exist in our guest bedroom closet...and I'm pretty sure it's pretty lame...but oh well!!
Good on you for trying to get your story down in book form!! I look forward to hearing more about it from time to time here on you blog.

Toiling Ant said...

Are you signed up for http://www.nanowrimo.org/ yet?? :-P

Unknown said...

No wonder you didn't let me read your 50,000 words from your Nanowrimo project last year. :-) Is it because it's part of your book?

Yes I've been toying around with book plots and story lines in my head for quite a while. It just takes me forever to type with my numb hands and actually handwriting stuff out isn't any easier...in fact it's just plain exhausting for me. :-(

I've been HUGELY tempted into buying a digital voice recorder (in lieu of a white notebook)and Dragon speech recognition software. Sigh...

I'm sure all your friends and family would agree that you are very smart and very creative. No matter how you think the book turns out, we'll all love it I'm sure.

Jaime said...

How did I know you were writing book? Did you tell me or did the thought lodge in my head from something you said? Hmmm....

I wrote a {ahem} "novel" when I was in middle school. Totally hilarious. I should dig it out and read it.

Someday I will write a book worth reading. Someday. :)

I am very impressed by your efforts. I'm sure your results will be terrific.

Rebecca said...

When you finish it, I want to buy a copy.
I love reading your blog posts. You have such a way with words. Don't ever stop writing!! I am glad you found your note book.

Elizabeth said...

I think you will be hugely successful with your book. You're one of my favorite bloggers, and as long as I've known you have been a fantastic writer. Ah, college... ;)

I, too, have toyed with the book idea, but haven't gone so far as to step out on a limb and begin any preparation. I'm hoping the overseas life will spur me, either through the amount of spare time in the next two years or through the experiences.

Jessica said...

i was practically pooping out novels and plays between the ages of 10 and 14. i'm not saying they were any good-- just that i was prolific and dedicated. like you, i had binders full of outlines and character details/descriptions, alternate endings. i never typed up less than 75 pages [yes, in 12-point Times New Roman font], yet only managed to finish one play. [i did love my plays. they were very Greek-tragedy. i let no one live in the end . . . if a character somehow slipped through my fingers and survived, i made sure he committed suicide on the last page].

these days i think i'd be a writer much like you're describing here-- i'd be a little bit embarrassed to admit that i was working on a novel [in fact, the only person who's ever been allowed to read my attempts fiction has been my sister. i've always been terrified of opening up my soul on paper and then hear someone say, "Umm. This is kinda dumb".

i'm no great writer, but i do love to write when the inspiration strikes. in fact, i have a secret goal to *start* writing a book next year, just to get me back into the habit.

i do hope to pick up a copy of your book at Barnes & Noble one day!