Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Life on the hill

Jamie uses a tea infuser to catch tiny pretend butterflies. Cute except for the part where he keeps opening the door to release the butterflies and the dog runs out to chase the rabbits on the lawn. Apparently we have a lot of invisible butterflies in this house. That and the constant Monster infestation we always have, while little tea balls may be good for catching butterflies it takes a big yoga ball to take out a monster. The 32 inch sphere is supposed to be my computer chair to help me build core muscles, but instead it flies around the house taking out gremlins and other suspicious creatures hiding behind the couch.

Charlie (although not on crack, or alcohol or any other known substance other than copious amounts of yogurt) is...well odd. He spins round and round before collapsing on the floor in laughter before he gets up and does it again. He also boogies everywhere, all the time, and eats like he's a starting linebacker for a Texas highschool. His pediatrician however is worried because he's so scrawny he doesn't even register on the growth chart. Considering I was the smallest person in every sunday school class until I was 16 makes me think it's more genetic than malnourishment, but I'm still spiking all his food with whole fat yogurt or olive oil. Jamie and I (as firstborns) want to know though, is it normal for second-borns to be an emotional comedian from sunup to sundown? We're quite dubious. We just want to know that wearing underwear on your head while climbing a dresser, falling down in giggles and climbing back up it, is expected behavior.

I'm so far in over this whole book writing thing, it's not even funny. I'm totally and completely stuck and I'd throw the whole thing in the trash if Jim wouldn't growl at me. I've read so much good stuff lately and so much bad stuff that uncomfortably resembles my own writing that it's left me more blocked than processed-carb-fed-human (dont think about that one too long). I cant give up though, and as much as I'd like to throw in the towel, it's just a matter of "when" rather than "if". I'd appreciate any techniques or help if anyone has them. Right now my characters are boring me to tears. Someone please rescue them.

3 comments:

Lauryl Lane said...

I think Charlie has to be a bit loopy just so he can get plenty of attention since his older brother has dibs on the attention thing. Sense? Who knows. The second-born in our family was a shy introvert, so I really have no idea. As for writing... HA. This girl definitely has no advice. My characters always bore me. Which is why I always give up on writing them. PS. Owl City. Have you listened to the new album??? The poetry of the lyrics is inspiring!!! "Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere." "Drenched in vanilla twilight, I'll sit on the front porch all night...." GAHHHHHH. I'm loving it.

Kat said...

The more I hear about your kids the more I think they may be related to mine. Timothy is my second born and his favorite thing to do is spin aorund in circles until he falls down and then he laughs and does it again until he can barely stand up. As a firstborn myself I believe comic relief is generally a second born trait. My husband is also a second born and he is pretty silly himself.

bekah mae said...

Ahhh...don't you dare give up on writing! DON'T. YOU. DARE.

The tiny pretend butterflies made me smile this morning. Happy Monday to you!