Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Lonesome Leper

Jamie got bit by some sort of bug on Friday, we put the heal all miracle salve on it, kissed it with magical kissing powers and told him not to itch it. By Sunday it became apparent bugs had nothing to do with it; his arm had erupted into a full scale attack of poison oak. Where he got himself an armful of poison oak was the mystery of the century, but we do have a dog that likes to chase rabbits so we used our super powerful deduction skills and blamed it on the dog (besides, the dog can't talk to defend himself). Even a Dr agreed it was poison oak or contact dermatitis of some kind. Fast forward through a few play dates, a half a dozen errands, and a large swath of people through San Diego who have been the recipient of Jamie's hugs (or whacks) and when Tuesday evening found him incapacitated from the pain on his arm, I knew we were in trouble.

This morning I called the Pediatrician and they said to bring him in asap, but to sit in the hall till we were called. You know it can't be a good sign when you aren't even allowed in the sick room. 30 min in the hallway, 10 min getting vitals, 20 seconds for the doctor to pronounce judgment: Shingles. How my four year old baby got an old persons disease like shingles is beyond all comprehension. I didn't even know kids could get it. But apparently it's fairly common these days because of the chicken pox vaccination. Something about kids carrying just enough antibodies to never get the chicken pox, but not enough antibodies to resist shingles. You don't even have to have a compromised immune system or a high stress job. Who-da-thunk?

To add insult upon injury, I specifically told them not to give my kids the chicken pox vaccination. Somewhere, somehow, the MA didn't get the memo and she accidentally gave it to him anyway. Short of demanding she suck the poison from my son's veins, there was nothing I could do but throw a fit. Now, three years later my son is writhing around in misery because of it and I'd rather he just had the damn chicken pox. Instead he got a dubious vaccination for a non threatening virus that didn't even successfully prevent it. Brilliant.
Of course this is all my fault according to the doctor. If I had been a good mother, I'd have forgiven the medical community its faux pas and brought him in for extra shots to booster up his system's antibodies. Which, forgive my cynicism and ignorance, I didn't. I'm also guilty of numerous crimes for successfully skipping it with Charlie. They're insisting I bring him in tomorrow for the chickenpox vax. It must be their attempt at clever humor-- surely I must be missing something. I'm already in this mess because of that stupid vaccination. Must I clarify again? I'd rather Charlie just have the chickenpox.

So if you or your child has come in contact with mine in the last few days be warned: They might get the chicken pox. Or if they've been vaccinated: They might get shingles.



Nobody wants to be around him anymore and he's got his Dad and Aunt Liz running scared every time he gets close. So I asked Jamie to give me his best zombie face. This is what I got. Very scary don't you think?


Charlie on the other hand could care less.

7 comments:

Lauryl Lane said...

Oh poor Jamie! I'm so sorry! You know Sammy had shingles back in June, right? He had a pretty severe case, was on viccodin for the pain and the herpes meds for the rash for a couple of weeks. It was all over the trunk of his body. I took pictures. ;-) Hope Jamie heals quickly. I hear it's not as bad for kids as it is for adults.

And yeah, I thought all kids were supposed to have the chicken pox. Isn't it a right of passage?

Jaime said...

Poor guy! We got chicken pox when Jack was 2 and William was 6 months. Not fun, but at least they had it at the same time so it didn't prolong the agony.

Unknown said...

I'm not a mom so I'm not up on all the latest vaccines that kids are supposed to get.

I'm confused...
Why did they create a vaccine to prevent kids from getting chicken pox which is fairly benign. Once you have had chicken pox you'll never get them again. With shingles you can get them over and over throughout your life.

All of us adults who have had chicken pox are susceptible to getting shingles at some point but it isn't a given. Not everyone who had chicken pox will get shingles.

Poor Jamie. Give him hugs and kisses from his Auntie Julie.

JessL said...

ugh ugh ugh!! I was on the fence as to whether or not Lexi would get that vaccination and this has sealed my decision. Geez, I thought that shot was stupid, but now I know it is. So am not going to start that.

I LOVE that shot of Charlie. When did he grow up?!? he is such a cute kid. Jamie is adorable as always. I love the zombie face LOL

ShellyLynn said...

To be honest, I really didn't want Isabella to get the vaccine either, but now I am not sure if she got it or not. Your post made me run to Google. I didn't realize it went by Varicella. Stinky. I think they do that to fool parents. I'll have to dig up her immunization records now.

tehBeautifulAngie said...

Can Jamie pass on shingles? I thought someone with shingles could only pass on chicken pox to those who have never had it.

That is crazy that kids are getting it now, because of the vaccination. My SIL just got Shingles a few weeks ago.

I have never had Chicken Pox (and oddly enough, neither have any of my siblings). It always freaks me out when people close to me get it. It has happened though, and I've still yet to get it. I have no idea why... :p

Jessica said...

i didn't know shingles were even contagious. eek.

and GORGEOUS bokeh on the last shot [besides being an awesome image to itself].