Monday, February 11, 2013

Montezuma reruns

I'm so blessed to have amazing, sweet, deep, meaningful friends. 


Today was awesome.  Sure, there were moments of un-awesomeness where I had to take a deep breath, but after seven years and three boys, I think I'm finally learning to get a clue (knock on wood).   I'm learning little things, like I no longer care about the lack of sleep, and I don't clean my house very well anymore.  And big things, like I have finally figured out that when Jamie is yelling "I HATE MATH!", Charlie is eating puzzle pieces and Robbie is spitting up like Yellowstone on a particularly volatile day... there's no need for me to freak out.  It will all pass and go back to normal in a few minutes.  It's kind of like surfing.  A wave will catch you wrong, and your board goes one way while you go the other way.  And as you're channeling your inner sock-in-the-washing-machine, you realize this is not a sustainable life cycle...but then you pop up out of the water and everything is sunshine and serenity again.    Motherhood is pretty much like that.



 

Our history this week is on the Aztecs and wouldn't you know, the one thing my children latched onto was the human sacrifice part.   They've been playing Hernan Cortez all day, taking turns ousting the evil Montezuma.  The Spanish weren't exactly smelling of roses during that whole section of history, but I don't seem to be having any luck convincing Jamie that Montezuma didn't deserve everything he got.   History is messy, and definitely not PG rated.  

Charlie had a high fever last week, which is always followed by the appearance of his evil twin.   He is testing everything at every twist and turn.  There is nothing insignificant enough that he will not wage battle with me, his dad or his brothers on.  The other night, Charlie was praying, and repeating after me "...help me learn to hold a pencil...and give me a good night sleep..."  but when I got to the part where I said "and help me to be an obedient boy."  Charlie said "and help me to be an obed---.  Wait a minute! I don't want to pray that.  I don't want to be an obedient boy."  Jim and I exchanged glances that only parents can give to each other.  The "I-cant-believe-your-child-actually-said-that" look.   So yeah, I'm not kidding when I say Charlie is determined to be bad.  He isn't all naughtiness though, there's repentance going on too.  Slowly but surely.

I forgot to nurse Robbie enough yesterday, and now I'm paying for it today with a plugged duct that is trying its best to turn into mastitis.   This is one of the downsides of demand feeding.   Since I don't watch the clock, and instead wait for hunger cues, I tend to go through a period of breastfeeding forgetfulness when they start solids.    Thankfully, Robbie is cooperatingu today with "operation nurse a lot".      I guess the rest of the Salvation Army sorting will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

No CC tomorrow.  A welcome break!   I celebrated by making a video of Latin Declensions for my students. 
















1 comments:

exploring history said...

Thank you for the reminder on motherhood. It is like surfing, and sometimes we forget that we will resurface. It doesn't always feel like it, but we will! Enjoy your day off from CC. I sure will!!!!