Wednesday, June 22, 2005

June 22, 2005

June 22, 2005

It’s a beautiful thing when you can sit on the beach in La
Jolla and be on the internet at the same time (compliments of UCSD’s wireless
network) .  Of course it’s not so nice
when it’s six thirty in the morning and you’d much rather be surfing, but life
could be much harder than sitting in a lounge chair on the beach so I shall
shut my lips lest I jinx my fate and thwart God’s will for my life.
Proverbs says, “Even a fool when he shutteth his mouth is
considered wise” (or something like that). 
As a certified, talkative person, I have gone great lengths to prove
this true…sometimes I succeed more than other times.   However Solomon isn’t quite as wise as I thought (of course I’m
not even positive he wrote that particular proverb) as I’m pretty sure I’ve managed
foolishness without even opening my mouth. 
Of course wisdom and foolishness are entirely relative.   If you asked my Mom what wisdom was, and
then posed the same question to my husband you would get vastly different
answers (Juan would say the one with the Holy Spirit is obviously right…but both
of them claim to know Him so that doesn’t help me much). So whether or not you
want to equate criticism (or gossip) with wisdom or foolishness would determine
your reaction to me.  Although beware,
if you decide I’m too critical I hope you’re comfortable with the title
yourself.
I was introduced recently to a guy named Bob, and if it were
possible to put a Jr. High girl in a 45 year old male body, then you’d know
exactly what this guy’s like.   I’ve
been around my fair share of gushing females (they’re normally found in the
general proximity of Mr. Gothard) but it’s a little more astonishing when it’s
not accompanied by soft curls gently framing the face, but rather graying hair
and a pot belly (I was going to say beer belly but I don’t think he
drinks).   I thought my dad held the
uncontested title for most-long-winded-person (I can’t even come close
to matching his skill) but this dude took the cake.   With surprising agility he managed to interrupt every conversation
in the room (there were three or four going at once), change the subject to
some story about himself and then look utterly hurt and offended when you tried
to politely finish the exchange you were previously having, making everybody
else feel rude and uncomfortable.   That
takes some mad skill…but being particularly annoying can come in handy, so I’ll
have to tuck it away for future reference.
And yes, my life is really so incredibly boring I’ve been
reduced to writing about annoying people in my blog.   Of course I was supposed to be surfing with my husband right
now, but I had some unconfessed sin in my life which led to my becoming sick,
which resulted in imposed bed-rest by my OB, so technically I’m being punished
by God right now.  Open theism looks
brighter everyday…

0 comments: