Tuesday, January 15, 2013

3,2,1...Blast Off.

     My poor-pity-me-moment for the day, is my hands are so chapped and dry, they're cracked and bleeding.  My nails are broken down past the quick and some of them are are bleeding at the nubs.  Washing dishes is a painful affair, which is bad because there are a looooooot of dishes right now.  I had no idea how much I'd come to depend on processed foods.  Take ketchup for example.  Normally it takes you 30 seconds to throw it in your grocery cart at the store, and you're done.   The next time you're at home and need ketchup, it effortlessly appears out of the door on your fridge.  Magic I tell you.   I have no factory food fairies working on my behalf anymore, so to get something as fanciful as ketchup, I have to juice an apple, grind spices, and mix tomato pulp together in a bubbling reduction until it resembles something my children will agree to dip things into.

    The kids finally came out of their food strike stark, raving, starving.  Jamie ate three hamburgers today (veggie burgers in lettuce wraps, loaded with avocado and tomatoes), a whole cucumber, two bananas, an apple, grapes, a bag of pistachios and a small container of sesame seed butter.   For dinner he happily downed piles of and piles of cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, chicken and sweet potato.   Charlie wasn't far behind him.  I'm going to have to go back to the grocery store at this rate.   It's mind boggling, because they wouldn't have touched this food a week ago.  Now they're fighting over who gets bigger second helpings. 

Robbie didn't poop yesterday for the first time in his entire life.
Every diaper change, I stared worriedly at his empty diaper, like an empty beach before a tidal wave.    This morning.  Still nothing.  I changed his diaper, got him dressed, buckled him in his carseat, and left for school.   Sure enough, stuck on the freeway in rush hour traffic, I hear a rumble from the back seat.   There's nothing you can do of course when that happens, except pray that you still have a back seat when you arrive at your destination.  It was one of those epic diapers that every baby has in their career.   Today's was definitely one of Robbie's top five.

I hate weeks that start at 100mph and weren't preceded by a relaxing weekend.  I feel like we have been on the go, go, go  too much, but I'm not sure how to slow down.

Here's the play set Jim put up on Saturday. He's in the bathroom right now building me a diaper sprayer after just walking in the door from work at 8pm.  Then we're doing our crossfit workout with the homemade medicine ball I rigged out of some duct tape, a walmart bag, and the kids old trick or treat pumpkin.  See?  Way too busy.  








0 comments: