Saturday, January 12, 2013

God, please make it rain cookies

    I gave Charlie lessons tonight, on how to eat something you don't like.   I thought it was a skill that came naturally for all kids, regardless of nationality, race or culture...but apparently my kids missed out on the valuable life skill of plugging your nose and washing vile stuff like eggplant or mushrooms down your throat with copious amounts of liquid.

Charlie has been testing me right and left.  I don't know why I ever thought he was the calmer of the two.  Right now he's worse than a teenaged girl.  The expressions on his face are never the same for more than two seconds in a row, and God forbid you piss him off.   I'm sure it's just a combination of holidays, grandparents syndrome, and his extreme angst over this diet change, but it's exhausting.  It feels like we're disciplining him and training him round the clock.  



  Tonight during family devotions (which we still haven't figured out a good routine for), Charlie prayed that God would please send cookies and normal food again.  



 Charlie thinks he's the hulk.  As in THE INCREDIBLE HULK.   But he's a superhero that still loves to cuddle with his mommy.  Of all my children, he's the most likely to come up behind me, wrap his arms around my neck and whisper how much he loves me. 

The nice thing about the foods we're eating, is Robbie can (and does!) eat everything.  The kid is a regular garbage disposal for anything he can get his hands on.   Jim and I were reminiscing about Charlie as a baby, and how he ate everything too.  What happened?  Jamie, was so picky and neurotic about food as a baby, that his occupational therapist said he was likely always going to have food hangups with textures and stuff  (that's right, he already had a OT at 9 months old).  But now, he's the less picky of the two.   Charlie, who ate like a football player with a starvation complex,  is the food weirdo.   His fork has to be just right,  his food has to be arranged in a particular fashion,  it has to be even, it has to be separated properly...the list goes on and on, otherwise he has a complete meltdown.    It's driving me crazy. 

Robbie is crying.  Poor kid is exhausted today.  I woke him up early because I had to go to work today, and Liz watched the kids.   She's such an awesome sister.  Here are our "babies".   I think Nelson is much better behaved already than Robbie, but Robbie doesn't eat holes in my kids shirts (yet). 





0 comments: