Friday, January 18, 2013

Damn the Dam

The meeting of the dogs went well today.  Nelson is so cute, even if he did poop all over our puzzles. 


Jamie and I had a nerd-argument over Star Wars.  Specifically, Jamie blames Luke Skywalker for his father Darth Vader's death, while I'm pretty sure the correct answer is, the mortal blow was from Emperor Palpatine's blue lightening.   But as Jamie pointed out, if Luke would have just gone ahead and switched to the dark side, like his destiny was supposed to be...then the whole kerfuffle with the Emperor never would have happened.  And aren't children supposed to obey their parents? 

Uhhh...yes.  Yes, children are definitely supposed to obey their parents unless their parents ask them to do something wrong?  Is that the right answer?   I feel like I could answer questions like that so many different ways, I'm never sure which way is the best way. 

Like the word "dam" and "damn".  Try explaining the difference to a very literal first-grader.   We finally resorted to pictures.

There's a framed Bible verse in our kitchen that says "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin."  Jamie never really paid attention to it, even though I'd read it to him occasionally, and then one day he gasped in horror when he saw the reference,  "James 4:17"  and realized it was his own name.   Now, he sort of skirts by it cautiously and sends furtive glances its way, like it's some sort of judgement of God upon him personally. 

Charlie asked me tonight if kisses last forever, or if they fall off.
I have no idea!  Because my first thought was...of course they don't come off!  Kisses last forever.  And then I thought...what if you're kissed by someone you didn't want a kiss from?  Then you'd definitely want to think those kisses wear off.  So I told him whenever he felt like he needed more kisses, he was free to come get them from me any time he wanted.   I love my wee little boys.   I love that I can still cover their soft little faces with kisses.  I love that my kisses are still magical, with special healing powers that cure everything from skinned knees to offended souls.   What am I going to do when they're gangly teenagers?  Ack! Perish the thought. 


0 comments: